“He was a very difficult patient,” Benvenuti recalled, describing him as “defiant.”
He said that Maradona wanted to leave the clinic as soon as possible after the surgery and was “not going to accept any hospitalization other than home care.”
He said he believed that the star’s condition needed daily assessment by a doctor.
But the evidence presented to the court so far showed his team of caregivers had only scheduled weekly doctor’s visits, one of which failed to take place due to Maradona’s reluctance to be seen.
Maradona was found dead in bed by a day nurse.
The trial has focused so far on the conditions of his home care, described by prosecutors as grossly negligent.
The defendants risk prison terms between eight and 25 years if convicted of “homicide with possible intent” — pursuing a course of action despite knowing it could lead to death.
The trial in the Buenos Aires suburb of San Isidro, which began on March 11, is set to continue until July.
